When was the last time you gave your makeup brushes a good deep cleaning? I’m sharing with you a simple homemade makeup brush cleaner that is easy to make and uses common non-toxic ingredients!
Now that I have found this great homemade/diy cleaner I won’t be so lazy when it comes to cleaning my makeup brushes. You can use just an oil and soap to clean your brushes but I really like that this cleaner includes essential oils with cleansing and purifying properties for extra clean and purified brushes.
It’s really a good idea to do a deep clean like the one I’m sharing once a month. This will remove old makeup, bacteria and other yucky stuff in your makeup brush bristles. If you have oily skin or are prone to breakouts you can do this deep clean weekly or every other week.
I just want to mention it is recommend to at least wipe your brush off with a clean towel in between uses daily.
Homemade Makeup Brush Cleaner You Will Need:
dirty makeup brushes
wash cloth or paper towels
2 tablespoons oil (extra-virgin olive oil or fractionated coconut oil)
2 tablespoons dish soap or castile soap
5 drops Melaleuca essential oil
5 drops Grapefruit essential oil (lemon or lavender are good alternatives)
warm water from sink
1. Add oil, soap and essential oils into a small bowl.
2. Swirl your brush in the mixture for 30 seconds, or until you see the makeup stored in your brush start to come out.
3. Rub in a circular motion on the palm of your hand to release all the makeup from the brush.
4. Rinse the brush under warm water (NOT HOT). Swirl brush bristles in your palm until clean, and the water runs clear.
5. Wipe brush bristle gently with towel and try to get out excess water.
6. Shape bristles to original sharp and set on towel for 4 hours or until dry. To prevent fluffy brushes from losing their shape roll fluffy brush bristles in a towel tightly while drying.
I hope you give this homemade and non-toxic makeup brush cleaner a try. If you have not been cleaning your brushes regularly you may see improvement to your skin!