As many of you know I have to cook gluten free for my husband and son and I also prefer easy recipes. For a recipe I usually search and search for a recipe that uses simple ingredients and looks easy for me to bake. I have now discovered the perfect cookbook for me, Sweet & Simple Gluten-Free Baking: Irresistible Classics in 10 Ingredients or Less! A book that truly speaks to me and anyone else who likes simple but delicious recipes!
The author of this book, Chrystal Carver, has created a cookbook that is easy to follow for any level baker! It is filled with traditional desserts and sweets that are easy to prepare. Almost all the recipes in this book are made with 10 ingredients or less and are common ingredients you will most likely already have in your kitchen. Also, no crazy or hard steps in the directions! I hate it when I read a recipe and I have to look up how to complete that step because I have no idea what they are talking about; with this cookbook you will not have that problem.
Chrystal Carver, the author, has also included very helpful bakers notes and tips with most of the recipes.
One of the first recipes I tried from Sweet & Simple Gluten-Free Baking was the Apple Crisp Recipe and I am sharing this recipe with you too!
- 4 medium granny smith apples, cored, peeled and sliced
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose gluten-free flour blend*
- 1/2 cup gluten-free quick oats
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Position the oven rack in center of oven. Lightly spray or grease a8x8x2-inch square pan.
- Spread apple slices evenly on the bottom of the pan. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour, oats, cinnamon, nutmeg and sugar. With a pastry blender, cut the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Evenly sprinkle the topping over the apples.
- Bake for 30 minutes or topping is golden brown and apples are tender when pierced with a fork. If desired, serve warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream. Store at room temperature.
- *For this recipe, Chrystal uses her all-purpose gluten-free rice flour blend that has been prepared in advance. Rather than making a whole batch, you can scale it down to ¼ cup white rice flour + 2
- tablespoons tapioca flour + 2 tablespoons potato starch.
The Apple Crisp came out perfect the first time I made it! Doesn’t it look delicious? My family ate it fast and thought it was wonderful especially topped with vanilla ice cream! This will be a recipe I make again very soon! My husband has already marked several other recipes from this book for me to try, mostly his favorite sweets from pre-gluten free.
I highly recommend this cookbook to anyone who is looking for good gluten free recipes. It is perfect for beginners or the experienced baker.
You can purchaseSweet & Simple Gluten-Free Baking: Irresistible Classics in 10 Ingredients or Less! Paperback cookbook on Amazon.
Disclosure: I received the products mentioned above for free. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. rays of bliss is not responsible for sponsors who do not fulfill prize obligations.