Hands-down this Gluten-free Tamale Pie is my husband’s favorite. It is easy to make and very filling! I use Gluten-free Pamela’s Cornbread & Muffin Mix (12oz) for this gluten-free recipe, but you can use any cornbread mix you have (gluten-free or not). This recipe needs to be made in dish deep enough for the cornbread and tamale meat sauce topping. I use 2.5-qt Round (8-1/2” diam) Casserole CorningWare dish and as you can see from the picture it is filled to the very top. A 9×13 casserole dish would work too but the cornbread layer would be thinner. I prefer a thick layer of cornbread; either way its YUMMY!
- Baked cornbread (make according to your package)
- 1lb ground beef
- 8oz tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 Tbs minced onions
- 1 Tbs cumin
- 1 Tbs chili powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 Tbs gluten-free all-purpose flour (for thicking)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- In deep casserole dish bake cornbread according to your package.
- While cornbread is baking brown ground beef and drain grease.
- Add tomato sauce, water, minced onion and spices to ground beef.
- Whisk in gf all-purpose flour to meat sauce to thicken sauce.
- Cover pan and reduce to a simmer. Allow to simmer for 10-15 minutess (while cornbread is baking).
- When cornbread is finished baking use a fork to poke holes and crumble the top layer of the cornbread.
- Use a spatula and pour all of the meat sauce on top of cornbread.
- Top with shredded cheese.
- Bake in 375°F oven for 12-15 minutes or until cheese begins to brown.
- Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes and serve hot.
- Add your favorite Mexican food toppings!
- I used Pamela's Cornbread Mix (12oz)
I was looking for more ground beef dinner ideas when I came across the Tamale Pie idea. I decided to make my own easy version of Tamale Pie by using Pamela’s Gluten-Free Cornbread Mix and a modified version of my homemade enchilada meat sauce. This Tamale Pie is truly an easy one dish dinner!
I hope you enjoy this recipe!