Disclosure: I was sent product free of charge from Sckoon, in exchange for my honest review and opinions.
Have you gave much thought to the chemicals in disposable pads and tampons? I never had even though I was using cloth diapers for that very reason. I guess our cycle is not something we all like to talk about or think about too much. Well, I’m going to talk about it and I want you to know there are great options for reusable cloth pads (aka mama cloth) and even menstrual cups and they are easier (less gross) to use than you think. Actually, a few months ago I made the switch to a greener menstrual cycle by using the SckoonCup, which I LOVE! You can read my review on that Here. But, I understand that menstrual cups are not for everyone. Reusable pads are a great option for those people and they are Ec0-friendly, chemical-free and more comfortable than disposable pads. Sckoon sent me 1 Snap-on SckoonPads to try and share my experience with you.
Why Make the switch to Reusable Menstrual Products:
(information from Sckoon website)
- Various chemicals, including dioxin, have been found in almost every major brand of menstrual pads and tampons available. Dioxin is a known carcinogen and even low levels of exposure have been linked to cervical and breast cancer, endometriosis, and immune system suppression.
- If dioxin isn’t’ enough to give you pause, pesticides used in cotton cultivation are showing up in disposable pads and tampons too and have been linked to birth defects, infertility, breast cancer, sterility, and respiratory problems.
- Also, the plastic and glue backing on disposable pads reduces air circulation and creates a stagnant environment in which some bacteria thrive, causing vaginal irritation and yeast infections.
Why you should try Sckoon Organic Cloth Menstrual Pads:
OK, besides being safer and healthier for you, and for the environment the Sckoon Pads are comfortable. I really could not tell I was wearing this pad. The cotton is super soft and very comfortable. I know I prefer wearing cotton over scratchy, paper like, not so soft disposable pads. What about you?
They are made from organic Egyptian cotton cultivated on their own organic cotton farm. The fact that the cotton is organic and not exposed to pesticides really sets Sckoon Pads apart from other “mama cloth” on the market.
Also, the snaps are nickel-free snaps to prevent allergic reactions. And all the dyes used for our beautiful pads are lead/pthalate-free, and environmentally friendly. Wow, they thought of everything!
Sckoon products are better than other washable pads that you’ll find on the market because they offer:
- A variety of colors and prints, all made with low impact dyes.
- Three sizes to choose from; Mini, Day, and Night
- A unique design that allows you to replace the liner when you need to, rather than the whole pad
Little More about the Snap-on SckoonPad:
Great innovative designs. The pad I had the chance to review was the Snap-on pad. The pad base is made of 100% certified organic cotton with a built-in leak-proof sheet, which prevents accidents and keep you comfortable and worry free all day long!
The organic insert liner is secured with a snap closure, it securely stays in place and doesn’t move around. You can swap the insert without changing the entire pad, which makes it easier to change and less to carry.
Crafted to last 6-8 years, SckoonPads are as durable as they are soft. I have washed mine 5-6 times now and they have held up great and are still just as soft.
Think of all the money you are going to save by not having to buy disposable pads and tampons each month! Not to mention the chemicals you are avoiding! SckoonPads really are a healthy alternative to disposable menstrual pads, both for you and for the environment.
Buy it: The Snap-on SckoonPad Retails for $16.99
You can purchase Sckoon Menstural Pads and Cups on their website Here.
Disclosure: Thank you to SckoonCup for providing samples of the products mentioned in this post. I was selected for this opportunity as a member of the Green Moms Network. The content and opinions expressed here are 100% my own.