Essential oils are a natural and effective solution for those pesky bugs and mosquitoes! I want you to avoid those toxic over the counter bug sprays. I am sharing a few easy ways you can use natural and safe essential oils for bug bite prevention. You can apply essential oils directly to your body but I prefer making a Homemade Bug Spray. Also, when I’m hanging out on the porch I like to use my diffuser with bug repelling essential oils.
You will need:
- 4 oz Spray Bottle preferably glass or metal. Plastic will erode when it comes in contact with some essential oils.
- 3 oz Distilled Water (Fill 4 oz bottle 3/4 full)
- 1 Tbl Witch Hazel or vodka
- 1 tsp of carrier oil (coconut oil, vegetable glycerin or other oil)
- 30-40 Drops Various Essential Oils (see bug repellent oils below)
- Fill 4oz bottle with water and the witch hazel into the spray bottle and shake. The witch hazel will help the essential oils to disperse evenly and not settle at the bottom.
- Add your Essential Oils (30-40 drops) and shake gently.
- Shake well before each use.
- Reapply every 4-6 hours
Naturally Bug Repelling Essential Oils:
For this spray use 35 drops of the Repellent Blend. Repellent Blend is a super concentrated blend made up of 15 essential oils that provide a safe and effective deterrent against biting bugs without the use of synthetic chemicals such as DEET.* I like to use it because I don’t have to think about what oils to mix together and the Repellent Blend is very affordable.
Other Oils Good for Repelling Bugs: cedarwood, lavender, lemon, patchouli, neem, peppermint, rosemary, basil, thyme, citronella, lemongrass, pennyroyal, tea tree oil, geranium, catnip, and eucalyptus.
You can use any combination of essential oils you like based on availability or scent preference. Wellness Mama suggest trying this blend: Rosemary, Clove, Cajeput (related to tea tree oil), Lavender, Cinnamon and Eucalyptus.
Free Printable for 2oz/small and 4oz/large bottles
Bug Image used in free printable is courtesy of AKARAKINGDOMS / FreeDigitalPhotos.net
- Homemade Bug Spray Label ~ Free Printable
- Print, cut and tape on to the bottle. I use shipping/mailing tape.
Avoid toxic chemicals and bug bites by using essential oils and natural ingredients. No toxic chemicals needed!
Check out my other DIY post to find out what other products you can be making in your home to save money and reduce your exposure to chemicals.